This past week, actor Leonard Nimoy passed away. He is best known for his role as Mr. Spock in the original Star Trek television series as well as several movie spin-offs. He was beloved by multitudes of fans for portraying the half-human, half-Vulcan first officer of the starship Enterprise. As a Vulcan, Spock dedicated himself to living by perfect logic with no emotions or feelings affecting his decisions or actions. In many of the Star Trek shows and films, Spock is often in conflict with Captain James T. Kirk and other members of the Enterprise crew because of how he looks at situations in a purely logical way while others are influenced by their emotions and passions.
Considering that logical thinking is indeed a powerful way to determine the best course of action when critical decisions have to be made, I would like to apply this principle to a matter of critical importance to you and every other human on planet Earth. That matter is the issue of where you will spend eternity after you die.
If you would like to go to Heaven, here is a logical explanation of how you can get there. You might think that it is complicated and confusing, but I will show you that it is quite simple and logical.
1. You are a sinner. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20, “There is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.”
2. God is displeased with your sins. Your sins are the bad or wrong things that you do. The Bible says in Psalm 7:11, “God is angry with the wicked [those who sin] every day.”
3. There is a punishment for your sins. The Bible says in Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death…” Because of the bad things that you do, you will die physically and you will experience spiritual death which is separation from God in a place called Hell.
4. God does not want you to go to Hell. The Bible says in 2 Peter 3:9 that God “is not willing that any should perish.”
5. Because God loves you and does not want you to suffer in Hell, He provided a way for you to be saved from that place. The Bible says in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” The Son of God, Jesus Christ, came to Earth, and died on the cross for your sins. He sacrificed Himself so that you would not have to go to Hell and so that you could go to Heaven.
6. If you understand that you are a sinner, and that you are destined to be punished eternally for your sins, but that God has provided a way for you to escape that eternal punishment, then you must do what it takes to accept the way God has provided for you to escape punishment in Hell. The Bible says in Romans 10:9,13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
7. If you believe all of what I just shared with you, and if you want to go to Heaven when you die, then the logical next step is to do what Romans 10:9 and 13 says and place your faith and trust in Jesus Christ so that you can be saved from sin and the consequences of sin. Remember, it is not about what you may feel or not feel at this moment. The Bible does not say you are supposed to feel a certain way about this decision. But it does say that if you simply trust and believe, you will be saved.
You can demonstrate your faith and trust in Jesus Christ by praying a short prayer to let God know that you are making this decision. Please repeat after me and mean it from your heart: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. I am sorry for my sins, and I want to turn from my sins. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. I trust Jesus Christ as my Savior and I choose to follow Him as Lord from this day forward. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! Congratulate on doing the most important thing in life and that is receiving Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. For more information to help you grow in your new-found faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door.” Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
As Spock would say, “Live long and prosper!”
Believe by faith. Share the faith. And keep the faith! God Bless You!