Whitney Houston’s body will be laid to rest today, Sunday, February 19, 2012, after a fantastic homegoing service at her home church in New Jersey on Saturday. The church was filled with well-known pastors, singers, musicians, movie directors, actors, and music moguls from different backgrounds and walks of life. They all came not only to celebrate her life, but to celebrate her faith and love for God.
Believe it or not, Whitney Houston was a witness for the Lord throughout her life even though she had gotten away from the Lord in her personal life from time to time. But like Samson she brought more glory to God in her death than in her life. She brought more people to the House of God to hear the Word of God, from all over the world, than some people will bring in a lifetime. Someone asked the Governor of New Jersey, ‘why are you flying the flags half-staff for Whitney Houston? She had some drug abuse issues in her life.’ The governor replied, “but for the grace of God go I.”
Some people may doubt if Whitney Houston went to Heaven when she died based upon some things she did in her latter years. If that were the basis for going to Heaven, then we could also doubt if some of the servants of the Lord whom God used in the Bible went to Heaven as well. Moses was a murderer, yet God allowed him to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land and God gave Him the Ten Commandments which, by the way, included the command, “Thou shalt not kill.” David was an adulterer, murderer, and liar, but yet he was the king of Israel and remained so after he sinned, and despite his sins, God still called him a man after His own heart. Samson was a womanizer who used his God-given gifts and talents for his own purposes, yet God used him at the end of his life and even through his death to bring victory for the Israelites over their enemies for the glory of God. Peter committed the ultimate sin of denying he knew Christ, not once, not twice, but three times, yet he was the first one to enter the empty tomb of Jesus Christ after His resurrection, he was used by God to bring the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to the whole known world in the book of Acts, he wrote two books in the New Testament, and was used by God to be a key leader in the early church. Just based upon their behaviour and actions, none of these servants of the Lord should be in Heaven. But I can assure you that they are, not based upon their behaviour but based upon their belief in Jesus Christ – the Messiah. Whitney Houston, by the accounts of several of her friends and by her own words, believed in Jesus Christ and loved Him all the way to the end of her life.
After a week of gathering information on her spiritual life, I am convinced that I will see Whitney in Heaven, along with Moses, David, Samson, and Peter. The question today is will I see you in Heaven? Dr. John MacArthur, who is a biblical scholar, said, “Heaven is a place more wonderful than we can ever begin to imagine. It is a place of joy and beauty, of peace and happiness that will never end.” (end of quote) Just last night, after looking at a broadcast regarding Whitney Houston, they showed the movie “The Bodyguard”, which Whitney Houston starred in with Kevin Costner. For the first time I watched that movie, and to my surprise, it was a good movie, and I told my family that Heaven will be like a great movie that never ends. Dr. John MacArthur continues by saying, “Heaven is also a place where there will be no sin or suffering, no sorrow or pain. Heaven is the place where we will have perfect joy, perfect peace, perfect knowledge, and live in perfect comfort. We will love God perfectly and will be loved perfectly by Him. His love will engulf us forever.” Will I see you in this beautiful place called Heaven? If you were to die today and you’re not sure that you would go to this place called Heaven where not only Moses, David, Samson, and Peter are, but where I believe Whitney Houston is, allow me to show you how you can be sure right now:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
If you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me the following simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
Congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour!
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!