Six Biblical Truths about God’s Blessing
“Out of the fullness of his grace he has blessed us all, giving us one blessing after another” (John 1:16 GNT).
You probably hear the phrase “God bless you” on a regular basis. You may even hear it daily.
But do you know what a blessing really is? I don’t believe most people do.
It actually means “good word.” Don’t ever doubt this. God has some really good words for you.
I’ve looked at all of the verses in the Bible about blessing. As I did, I discovered six truths related to God’s blessing.
- God blesses us even though we don’t deserve it. The Bible tells us, “Out of the fullness of his grace he has blessed us all, giving us one blessing after another” (John 1:16 GNT).
- God blesses us because he enjoys doing it. Any parent can understand this. We love to bless our children. So does God. God says in Jeremiah 32:41: “I will enjoy blessing them” (GW).
- God promises he will bless our lives if we obey him. God’s promises and his blessings are not automatic. They are conditional. You’re not waiting on God to bless you. He is waiting for you to fulfill the conditions necessary for your blessing.
- God blesses us as a witness to others. God wants to show off his blessing so that other people can see what a good God he is.
- God blesses us to bless others. God doesn’t bless you so you can just store up his blessings and keep them all to yourselves. God blesses you so you can bless others.
- God’s blessing can be multigenerational. God does this over and over throughout the Bible. For example, the Bible says in Genesis 25:11, “After Abraham’s death, God blessed his son Isaac” (NIV).
Never forget that God wants to bless you. You’re not waiting for him. He’s waiting for you!